Monday, January 23, 2012

Joanie Doe: I’m known for my orange socks.

One method of travel for me was hitchhiking. My life wasn’t the pretty picture you like to hear about when you think of young white girls in their 20’s. I wasn’t a model. I wasn’t a debutante. I wasn’t a college bookworm. No, my life wasn’t anything like those girls’.

I owned very little. I wore orange socks. My toenails were long because I didn’t have clippers to cut them. My legs were unshaven because I didn’t have a razor to shave them. I rarely had water to bathe properly. I may have exchanged favors for food, rides, or money. I had untreated gonorrhea. Perhaps I was mistreated and that’s what set me on the road. I was young. I was alone. I was trying to survive.

The question is was I hitchhiking in Oklahoma when a man named Henry Lee Lucas picked me up? He stated he bought me lunch then had unsatisfying sex with me, which led to him to strangling me to death. After which, he then had unsatisfying sex with me again. He claims he dumped me in a culvert off the “IH35 southbound toward San Antonio.” He remembered this because he injured his knee on the guardrail. He also told them he thought my name was Joanie or Judy. This convicted serial killer later recanted his statement about killing me.

Another possibility, one that makes people scratch their heads, is that I wasn’t picked up by this serial killer in Oklahoma. Instead, according to an anonymous caller, I was seen hitchhiking near Georgetown, Texas on the day of my murder.

The complete truth is unknown. They did find me dead, by strangulation, dumped in a culvert. There was even evidence my body was dragged, possibly over a freeway guardrail.

The reality is that I was a 20-something-year-old woman who stood 5'8", weighed 135 pounds, had red hair and hazel eyes, and I was murdered on October 31, 1979. My body was found in culvert near Georgetown, Williams County, Texas. I was only wearing my orange socks and have since been dubbed “Orange Socks.”


If you have any information about this young lady, please contact:

Texas Department of Public Safety
P O Box 4087
Austin, Texas 78773-0422
Phone: (512) 424-5074
or
Williamson County Sheriff's Office
512-943-1389

CASE# U8904002

PROFILE DATA AT A GLANCE:  Williams Texas Jane Doe October 1979

TXPDS FLYER: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/mpch/UnidentifiedDetails.asp?id=U8904002

No comments: